Monday, November 25, 2013

Review: Rain of the Ghosts

Rain of the Ghosts by Greg Weisman
Rain of the Ghosts by Greg Weisman

Release Date: December 3, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: Rain Cacique #1
Pages: 205
Format: finished copy
Source: publisher

Welcome to the Prospero Keys (or as the locals call them: the Ghost Keys), a beautiful chain of tropical islands on the edge of the Bermuda Triangle. Rain Cacique is water-skiing with her two best friends Charlie and Miranda when Rain sees her father waiting for her at the dock. Sebastian Bohique, her maternal grandfather, has passed away. He was the only person who ever made Rain feel special. The only one who believed she could do something important with her life. The only thing she has left to remember him by is the armband he used to wear: two gold snakes intertwined, clasping each other’s tails in their mouths. Only the armband . . . and the gift it brings: Rain can see dead people. Starting with the Dark Man: a ghost determined to reveal the Ghost Keys’ hidden world of mystery and mysticism, intrigue and adventure.

RAIN OF THE GHOSTS is an interesting and captivating paranormal tale about one girl's discovery that she can see ghosts and the mission she undergoes to help them leave this world.

This book is told from the third person omniscient point view with a mysterious all-knowing narrator telling the story of Rain. I thought this was a great choice because it let you into everyone's head to see how they reacted to certain situations. The narrator is named Opie--we find out later--but I wasn't exactly sure what Opie was. I couldn't tell if it was a ghost, human, dog, girl, boy? It wasn't the focus of the story so was never made 100% sure. We just know that this Opie knows everything about the present and has a mission to get Rain to discover who she is and what she can do. Rain lives on one of the Prospero Keys, aka the Ghost Keys to the locals. She helps run her parents inn where her grandfather lives, as well. One night he gives her a mysterious bracelet that seems to glow whenever Rain wears it. Little does she know, this bracelet lets her into the other realm and allows her to see, and hear, ghosts. 

RAIN OF THE GHOSTS is an upper MG novel that has lots of YA appeal. Rain is 13 but acts wise beyond her years. She's not afraid to wander around by herself at night, she takes matters into her own hands, and she's not afraid to follow a scary adult male who knows way more than she does. I thought she was a very enjoyable character and I loved her tenacity. When she set her mind to something, she was going to do it, despite how internally scared she was. Rain's best friend Charlie was a great addition to the story. He, unlike Rain, can't see ghosts. He spends most of the time hearing Rain's one-sided conversation speaking to the wind. He never knows exactly what is going on but he's such a loyal friend that he went right along with Rain and her crazy plans. I loved that about him! He was extremely trusting and never once bailed because he thought Rain was psychotic for believing she can communicate with ghosts. 

The plot was a bit slow at the beginning. We get to see Rain in her natural element: fleeing from tourists, hanging out with her best friend, and moseying around the inn. I liked getting to see into her life but it's not why I picked up this book. The plot significantly picked up around page 90 and I couldn't have been happier. We finally get to see what this bracelet was capable of, what the ghosts wanted, and what Rain was going to do about it. Rain and Charlie finally starting asking questions and were determined to get answers, even if that meant getting themselves in dangerous situations. I was just as curious as they were and was excited to get to discover the secrets with them. 

This book ended all too fast. At only 205 pages, I wished it had lasted longer. Once the main action got started, I wanted to get more in depth with it. This had a nice and complete ending but I'm excited to see what happens in the next book. Rain discovers something that is only the beginning and I'm curious what she discovers in the next one. If you're looking for a light and adventurous read with an intriguing plot and paranormal activity, I would encourage you to give RAIN OF THE GHOSTS a chance!


3.5 Thought Clouds

I received a finished copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!


8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it was slow at the beginning, that might turn me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still really interesting but it was too much world and character building for my tastes. I just wanted some action already!

      Delete
  2. The omni-present viewpoint isn't really my thing. But I love the concept! I think I would give this one a try... Opie is SUCH a cute name, too. Gosh. How do authors come up with this awesome names? It's a bit unfair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to get used to. The narrator was there sometimes and then sometimes not, so it would catch me off guard when they were present. You're an author now, how do YOU?! I would suck at it and name everyone boring every day names.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, not sure if I read it but I do have a friend in mind who might like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an interesting concept that wasn't executed as well as it could have been. The main character sounds awesome, and so does her friend, but I'm not crazy about the idea that a book this slims is so slow for the first 50% or so. I do love that cover, but I think I'll pass on this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really was the only thing I was disappointed in. It was just such a relatively short book and the good part of the story happened too late in the book and wasn't drawn out long enough. I think it could have gotten a lot more in depth.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and WILL write back :) It may take a day or two, but I will get to it. Make sure you come back and check!